Pages

Saturday 30 June 2012

5 MIND-BLOWING ILLUSIONS YOU WON'T BELIEVE ARE REAL



5 Mind-Blowing Illusions You Won't Believe Are Real
By
TechEBlog, 26 June 2012.

Optical illusions are designed to fool the human eye, but sometimes, they just don't seem possible. Well, thanks to a few helpful geeks, we get an inside look at how five mind-blowing illusions are accomplished. Continue reading to see them all. [Note: The video descriptions are quotes from the producer. Read more from the YouTube links provided.]

5. Minecraft Illusion Poster

Source: YouTube via TechEBlog
"I've been getting into minecraft recently and ya, it's addicting. I know I've made a few of these types of posters before but I thought you guys might enjoy a Minecraft version. I debated on whether to add music or just use the sound FX. Obviously I went with the sound FX. I didn't include any of the actual sound FX because I was a little lazy."
4. VHS Tape Illusion

Source: YouTube via TechEBlog
"I was asked by YouTube to participate in their 'Play Means Business' Program. They gave me the statistic of '500 years of YouTube videos are watched each day through social media sites' and asked if I could build an illusion around it. I thought VHS tapes would be a nice way to portray 'video' and would be easy to work with to create the illusion. The only effects added to this video are the words added to the floor below '500 years' at the end of the video."
3. Moving Square Illusion

Source: YouTube via TechEBlog
"There are 2 sets of lines moving back and forth perpendicularly but when the paper squares are placed on the screen the lines suddenly appear to be a square moving in a circular motion. I've seen this illusion for a while and have always been impressed by it. I wanted to try and create my own version."
2. Chair Illusion

Source: YouTube via TechEBlog
"I created this illusion by placing a chair in the middle of the room and shining a bright light on it which created a shadow. I cut black poster board and taped it so that it covered the shadow. Then I moved the light source to the opposite side of the room and shined it on the chair which created another shadow. Again, I cut black poster board and taped it so that it covered the shadow. Then I just removed the actual chair from in-between the 2 shadows. The whole process took about 10 hours."
1. Shade Illusion

Source: YouTube via TechEBlog
"The illusion works because of the 'shadow' that falls on the checkerboard. Lets think of the square that the shadow falls on. Now picture that the shadow doesn't exist, you would see a light coloured square surrounded by the dark coloured squares. But when the shadow falls on top of that light coloured square, the shadow causes the shade to become darker but it also causes the surrounding darker squares to become darker. So within the shadow region the brightness and darkness of the squares are still relative to one another. But they are no longer relative to the squares that lie outside of the shadow."
Top image: Photo credit

[Source: TechEBlog. Edited.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please adhere to proper blog etiquette when posting your comments. This blog owner will exercise his absolution discretion in allowing or rejecting any comments that are deemed seditious, defamatory, libelous, racist, vulgar, insulting, and other remarks that exhibit similar characteristics. If you insist on using anonymous comments, please write your name or other IDs at the end of your message.